Wednesday, April 29, 2009

the one and the only BRIGHTON!!




It was bri's b-day yesterday. Wow he is 4 years old. I am amazed he is growing up so fast. Brighton is so smart, bright, energetic, and teaches me daily about what it means to be happy. When he got home from school I had some balloons for him and it was so cute. He said "Oh surprise balloons they are so beautiful. I am so excited!" How easily he is pleased. He probably repeated himself about 10 times. That means he is really excited because normally he only does it about 5 times.




But now as I have been debating whether or not to actually post this about brighton. I have felt this inner turmoil about announcing this as if it makes a difference but I really do feel that I should. About a year ago we had some tests ran on brighton. To me he was this bubbly, loveable 3 year old but he had some major problems as well. His speech was well behind the average and was not getting any better. If he got overstimulated he would just lose it, and when I mean lose it screaming and crying and nothing is going to make it better. He would also get so fixated on things that he could not let it go. He just wasn't progressing as a healthy child should. Well a therapist diagnosed him with PDD-NOS. I was so sad and heartbroken but at the same time I was relieved. For so long I had felt like I was doing something wrong. For those who don't know PDD-NOS is along the same lines as autism, it is a spectrum disorder meaning that every case is different but there are a lot of common symptoms similar to autism.



Looking back there have been a series of events that have been such blessings to our family. Such as when I was calling to see if he could get into some tests any sooner the secretary gave me a number of the special-ed program for preschools to get him on the waiting list. He was able to get into one really soon and it has made the biggest difference. My mom got started in teaching music together, and that has really helped him with transitioning and keeping calm in a highly stimulating enviorment. We are now going to take him to a DAN (defeat autism now) doctor-thanks to my wonderful sister in law- and I feel that this will really help him. Even though this has definetely been a struggle for our family the lord has blessed us and given me the strength to keep going. The only reason I am posting this is because I just didn't want it to be this big secret, but in no way does this make brighton any different. Wow this is a long post! I am normally not like this at all but I had a lot that needed to be said.

9 comments:

Jenna Johnson said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRIGHTON!!! WE SURE MISS YOU GUYS!

Kim said...

What a beautiful boy, and post for that matter. As we were talking last weekend, I thought to myself how lucky Brighton is to have you as mom.

Kamilla Bell said...

Shawnee,
YOU are a big strong woman!!! Seriously. It was so fun to hang out with you for 2 whole days! Brighton has a "bright" future. I love that kid and am so impressed by the progress he's made so far. Don't forget that Nick and I are you and Matt's #1 cheerleaders. If you ever want to talk give us a call. You know that we understand.
Happy Birthday to Brighton too! 4 years. It goes by way too fast doesn't it.

Kristy said...

You are such a good mom, Shawnee! You do a great job with Brighton!! I have seen such a HUGE difference in him in the past year and thats also because you are so patient and loving to him and seem to always know whats best for him. We are so grateful that we have him as a nephew and Zackary is SOO greatful to have him as a best buddy!! Hope he had a good birthday!

thebellcrew said...

wow, I love all of you! Seriously thank you to everyone, it brought tears to my eyes. Its because of all the support and love from friends and family that make us keep on going!

Desiree Ward said...

Shawn, you are an inspiration to me. You are the best momma, I agree Brighton is one lucky kid to have you. The Lord knows that, that is why he sent you such a beautiful boy. Seriously he cracks me up. You have a four year old!!! Life goes by too fast!!

Jess said...

I love Brighton's excitedness about the balloons! Shawnee, you are the cutest mom! I feel truly blessed to have your awesome example as we go through similar experiences! Have you been to the DAN doctor yet? Keep up the good work!

Nanon said...

Shawnee... you know I love Brighton! He is the light of many of my days!! Thanks for sharing him and Ezra with me, it's hard having all of my nieces and nephews so far away, but having you guys right next door is the best! Your kids always cheer me up and are the best medicine for a long hard day at work!

Chuck and Becky said...

You are amazing, you have so much going on in your life and still manage to keep it all together. Your boys are so lucky to have you as their mother.