Tuesday, September 8, 2009

gotta love diets and movies...


Okay so I am not good at diets, never have been. When I try to limit the food thats all I can think about and it consumes way too much of my time. But, this diet is not for me, it is for my little guy Bri. Our DAN(defeat autism now) doctor said he was 50/50 on for bri to be on a gluten/casein/soy free diet. Now what is gluten, anything made with wheat, casein is any dairy or whey product. So now I think what can we eat? Fruits, veggies, meat, corn, rice, nuts and oatmeal--just make sure that its not processed with wheat which most are. Well I have been going back and forth on this limiting what foods a kid can eat can be tricky, especially ones that are good for you such as 100% whole wheat are super important in a normal kid they provide essential b vitamins that are hard to get from anything else. Although, bri is on a ton of supplements to cover all the things that he would be missing. But I have come to the conclusion if I don't do this I am not doing everything in my power to help brighton. So here I am putting a deadline, we are going totally GFCF and soy free as of october. I can do this, I know I can. Okay maybe I am little nervous here. But this might make the difference between him being able to be pulled off the spectrum or it might not but either way I am going to try. So wish me luck!
On another note, kind of related to food but not at all related to what I was talking about before I got to go see a great movie with my mother-in law beth yesterday. I loved it, thanks beth for going with me! Since I love to cook, this movie made me want to start cooking some amazing french recipe but back to life and reality I do not have the time or the money to do so. But watching this movie was almost as good. I definetely recommend it.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Good luck on the new diet. I really hope it helps.

I have really wanted to see that movie. I am glad you and Beth got a chance to go.

Kamilla Bell said...

Good luck with the diet. I heard that Harmons has a whole row of Gluten free foods. It's helpful when you have a whole section dedicated to the diet and all you have to look out for is the soy and dairy. It's great inspiration for meals and what not. We found a bread that Nicole actually LOVES and that helps a whole lot. I'm here to support you in the change in any way possible. Call or email me for sympathy. I'm sure it will come more naturally to you since you enjoy cooking. I've never enjoyed cooking and I think thats what made it really hard for me.

Angie Roberts and Rob Haddock said...

Hello Bells, it is Angie Roberts (Haddock now!) How are you all? Well after looking through your blog from Erin's- I wish you luck on the diet adventure. You are a great mom I am so sure Shawnee, perseverance is the key. I wish you the warmest luck with Brighton and the joy it will bring you both in the end, ( I have a few cousins with autism and volunteer regularly with them in our community). They bring me so much joy!

Becca Curzon said...

I am currently using a gluten free diet for myself to try to help with fertility as well as to prevent MS since it runs in my family (2 of my sisters were diagnosed with it this year). I have found this blog to be very helpful. She is vegan and gluten free. She also tries to stay away from refined sugars, which is also helpful. It seems like most of the recipes are free from soy as well. I have loved every recipe I've used from her site. http://affairsofliving.blogspot.com/

Whitneymwall said...

Hey Shawnee- I am de-lurking! It's fun to see you and your cute fam! This a bit random but I was wandering the web instead of studying, like I should have been, and came across this Yummy recipe and thought of you.

Link: http://thedailydelights.com/2009/09/08/development-peachy-pancakesgluten-free/